guile-vm merged into guile

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: guile-vm merged into guile
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:51:30 +0200

Hey all,

I have a branch of Guile into which I merged the Guile-VM git repo, with
its history. I only did the minimal tweaks to get the whole thing to
build and self-compile -- assuredly there is some reorganization to do.

I did this because for efficiency, things like procedure-documentation
can be better implemented if guile-vm is in the core. Also this will
allow me to compile ice-9/, including boot-9.scm. Also, having guile-vm
and guile in the same repo makes it easier to test guile-vm -- you'll
always have all of the guile patches necessary.

I think the VM is where guile should go, but it's not ready for prime
time yet. It needs procedure documentation, source location recording,
decent backtraces, and further thoughts regarding the debugger. In
addition, it can't compile GOOPS yet, which I really would like.

So this is a request for commit access to the guile git repo, in order
to push my work to a separate branch.

Thanks,

Andy
--