Re: Autoconf 2.62

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.62
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:55:03 +0100

2008/7/5 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:

> Running `autoupdate' in `branch_release-1-8' yields the attached path.
> Some of the things changed have long been obsolete, like the `AC_TRY_'
> macros and `AC_HELP_STRING', while others may be more recent.

All those changes look good to me; but you may want to call autoupdate
more times, as there are still some AC_TRY_* (nested) left.

> Question: should we update to 2.62 (and have `AC_PREREQ(2.62)') or not?

I don't have a strong preference.  It's always nice to have more up to
date tools, but on the other hand 2.62 would be very slightly tricky
(for me, and maybe others) as I don't believe it's in Debian
stable/testing yet. Now that we have the changes from autoupdate, what
is the benefit of 2.62 vs. 2.61?  Do any of those changes depend on
running >= 2.62?

> We can also choose to do it in `master' but no in 1.8.  I'd be in favor
> of doing it in both branches.

Definitely both, if at all, IMO.

Regards,
          Neil