Re: Internal visibility

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Internal visibility
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:20:59 +0200

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the encoding of a string (or buffer or "character" array
> (or subsequence thereof)) needs to be explicit;

RnRS doesn't specify any encoding.  R5RS Section 6.3.5 just says
"Strings are sequences of characters."  R6RS Section 1 goes further by
saying "Strings are finite sequences of characters with fixed length and
thus represent arbitrary Unicode texts."  None of them refers to
"encoding".

> All these programs chose not to expose many conversion functions
> in the programming interface.  Instead, they expose few functions,
> each with an encoding parameter.  That is surely a cleaner design.

Yes, that's probably a good idea.  At any rate, we only have
`scm_to_locale_string ()' currently so it's not too late to add a single
function with an encoding parameter in lieu of the proposed
`scm_to_{utf8,utf16,utf32,ucs4,...}_string ()'.

But first of all, one needs to implement Unicode support.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.