Re: git and changelogs

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: git and changelogs
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:53:23 -0300

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
>> Now that we've switched to git, hows about moving our changelogs to
>> ChangeLog.old, and just using commit logs? We can still generate
>> changelogs on release, if that's a desire.
>
> I'd be tempted to do that, but among the many GNU projects that switched
> to Git, apparently none of them did away with ChangeLogs, and I would
> understand reluctance to remove them.

LilyPond was the first project to switch to Git, and the ChangeLog was one
of the first things that we junked.

* It's a nuisance, because it always conflicts on merges.

* After you've used

  git log -Ssuspect_text -p branch --

the ChangeLog looks like a joke.

* We did have some autogenerated changelogs for a while, but I have
never seen any evidence that they were used.