Re: git and changelogs

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: git and changelogs
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 21:10:37 +0200

Hi Neil,

On Sat 10 May 2008 00:41, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Now that we've switched to git, hows about moving our changelogs to
>> ChangeLog.old, and just using commit logs? We can still generate
>> changelogs on release, if that's a desire.
>
> Do you mean that we would still have the same level of detail that we
> currently put in ChangeLog, but we would put that in the commit
> message instead?

Yes, that's what I mean.

> I'm worried that there isn't AFAIK anything as nice as `C-x 4 a' for
> adding one detail of a change to a pending commit message.

Ludovic mentioned emacs' git.el, which I'm unfamiliar with. I use the
great DVC. I wrote about it here:

http://wingolog.org/archives/2008/03/11/using-newfangled-version-control-systems-from-emacs

In short: there are excellent solutions. Unfortunately none of them are
bound to C-x 4 a. Fortunately C-x 4 a was always hard to type anyway.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/