Re: Git workflow overview

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Git workflow overview
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:44:17 +0000

Hi Ludo,

> The easy fix, of course, it to name local branches like remote
> branches---which is what I did, because I was lazy.

Thanks very much, that's what I did too, and all is working now.

> The "real" fix involves `.git/config' magic (or `.git/remotes', or
> `.git/branches'), to tell Git about the name of the remote branch where
> it should push.  git-push(1) mentions several possibilities, but I
> haven't tried them.
>
> Alternatively, "git-push origin 1.8.x:branch_release-1-8" should work,
> but I haven't tried either.
>
> Maybe you could tell us which trick works best?  :-)

Something for another day, perhaps.  Right now I'm quite deep into
solving the "make check" crashes that have been reported on IA64, so I
want to concentrate on that as much as possible.

> BTW, regarding `.gitignore', it's possible to use glob patterns, like
> "*.x", "*.doc", "*.lo", etc.

Indeed, and I also realize now that .gitignore entries also apply to
subdirectories.  Taking that into account, I've just committed a much
smaller set of .gitignore's to branch_release-1-8 than I did to
master, and I'll aim in the next few days to rationalize the
.gitignore's in master.

> Thanks,
> Ludo'.

Regards,