Re: Guile Summer of Code project

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen
Subject: Re: Guile Summer of Code project
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:57:16 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

Ludovic Court?s:
> Therefore, being able to parse and access C code from Scheme/Guile > itself,
>     and handling such a code like any other Scheme object would clearly
>     benefit the community opening many new possibilities.
> > For example, creating Guile bindings through a foreign function > generator
>     using the parser on headers for popular C libraries and applications
>     would be plain easy.

 Again, I'm not convinced that such a tool would suffice to make FFI
 generation "plain easy".

One project who actually makes this conversion "plain easy", is jsext:
jsext is a library for javascript which automatically creates wrappers
on the fly out of c header files. I know it works, because I once got
a personal demonstration from the author of it. :-) Might be worth looking
at as well.

I should have provided the main link for the project as well:

  http://www.jsext.net/main.jsx

I think jsext has developed a lot since the posting of the
link I gave. However, the info in the link above demonstrates very well the intention of jsext, which seems to be exactly the same as this gnu summer of code project proposal. Perhaps, if jsext is written in C
(I'm not sure, maybe it is), its just porting jsext to guile, and thats
it...