Re: Guile Summer of Code project

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen
Subject: Re: Guile Summer of Code project
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:19:59 +0100 (CET)

Neil Jerram:

Luis Araujo <address@hidden> writes:

Hello everyone , how are you?

Hi Luis!

Thanks for posting this proposal.  I haven't read every detail yet,
but have one initial query, and would be interested in your thoughts.

It seems like it would be a big job to write a C parser in Guile, and
it also seems that the really interesting results would flow from what
one could do with the parser output - but that the existence of the
parser on its own would not be that exciting.

Therefore I'm wondering if there isn't already a C parser -
implemented in some other language - that you could use to work first
on the interesting possible applications of having a C parser.

This is all assuming, of course, that there is a C parser available
somewhere that would generate the right kind of output, and I haven't
actually researched that.  But it seems to me that the advantages of
doing things this way round would be that

- it would bring concrete advantages to Guile more quickly

- the process of working on applications would probably make clear
 whether a Guile-implemented C parser would provide extra benefits,
 and would probably indicate what kind of parser interface and/or
 output would be most useful and convenient.

What do you think?

For me it sounds like you would achieve exactly the same just
by combining the output of either swig[1] or gwrap[2] and
feed it into eval-c[3-4]. Perhaps 5-6 hours of work, probably
less...

[1] http://www.swig.org
[2] http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/
[3] http://snd.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/snd/cvs-snd/eval-c.scm