Re: srfi-18 requirements

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: srfi-18 requirements
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:02:53 -0400

Hi Neil,

>  It looks great.  I still have a few minor queries, but it's close
>  enough now that I've committed this latest patch to CVS; it'll be much
>  more convenient to work on the few remaining queries incrementally,
>  rather than with respect to threads.c as it was prior to all these
>  changes.

Hey, great!  Maybe this is premature (without the Scheme
implementation being in yet), but: Thanks for your patience and
prudent counsel over these last several months.

As regards the changes below, I've attached a patch against the new
HEAD that I think resolves the issues you mentioned.

>  Finally, please note that we will need a NEWS entry for this work.
>  Are you happy to write that too?  (You may of course prefer to defer
>  this until the SRFI-18 Scheme parts are committed too - that's
>  absolutely fine.)

Yes, I'm happy to write the NEWS entry, but think I would like to wait
to submit it until everything's in.  And speaking of the Scheme parts,
shall I go ahead and send you a patch that includes those?  I expect
that my original implementation won't need that much tweaking to
cooperate with the new core interfaces; it shouldn't take long.

Speaking of which, though, I've already run into some difficulty
implementing mutex-state -- the solution you proposed earlier depends
on mutex-owner being visible to Scheme code (it's not, at the moment),
and I can't figure out how to write mutex-state efficiently without it
(or some other way of passively inspecting the mutex).  Any
suggestions would be appreciated!

Regards,
Julian