threads + gds + with-input-from-string == fail

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: threads + gds + with-input-from-string == fail
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:14:19 +0100

Hello,

It took me a while to isolate, but GDS has a problem when evaluating
code that changes the current input port. For example, evaluate the
following:

  (with-input-from-string "(+ 2 3)" read)

If you are running with a "utility guile", this should work. However, if
you start up another guile running GDS in a thread:

$ guile
guile> (use-modules (ice-9 threads) (ice-9 gds-client))
guile> (make-thread run-utility)

Then reassociate that buffer with the new process, and try evaluating
the above form. For me, GDS goes into the "running" state and never
comes back. To fix you have to kill the guile, kill the debug server,
and disassociate buffers.

Any idea why this is the case? It would be great to fix it.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/