Re: "guile-config link" reports LDFLAGS it has been compiled with

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "guile-config link" reports LDFLAGS it has been compiled with
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:21:40 +0100

> "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <address@hidden> writes:

>>  dnl Tell guile-config what flags guile users should compile and link with.
>> -GUILE_LIBS="$LDFLAGS $LIBS"
>> +GUILE_LIBS="$LIBS"
>>  GUILE_CFLAGS="$PTHREAD_CFLAGS"
>>  AC_SUBST(GUILE_LIBS)
>>  AC_SUBST(GUILE_CFLAGS)

> Indeed, you're right.
>
> Conversely, I think `GUILE_CFLAGS' must include `$CPPFLAGS' since this
> may include `-I' flags that are required (e.g., `-I/path/to/gmp').

Wait, no: the argument for `$CPPFLAGS' also applies to `$LDFLAGS'.  That
is, if `-L' flags are passed through `$LDFLAGS' to `configure', like
`-L/path/to/gmp', then they must be reported by "guile-config link".

Admittedly, it has the undesirable side-effect of reporting completely
unrelated link flags as well.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure we could
reliably filter `$LDFLAGS'.

Thanks,
Ludovic.