Re: stack overflow

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: stack overflow
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:40:24 +0000

> Hi,
>
> Rainer Tammer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I added -qtune=auto but this did not solve the problem...
>> I will try other optimization settings...
>
> You did "make clean all" after reconfiguring with your `CFLAGS', right?
> Also, do the actual compilation command lines show that your `CFLAGS'
> settings were taken into account?
>
> Besides, you can try adding "(debug-set! stack 40000)" to your
> `~/.guile' and see if that makes a difference, and increase it until it
> works, just to get an idea.

[moving over to guile-devel...]

Not to disagree with anything that's already been said in this
thread...  But I wonder if there is a way to make Guile's stack
overflow checking a bit less fragile - i.e. less subject to the
behaviour of particular compilers / OSs / optimization options?

I think all we're really trying to do, with the stack overflow
feature, is guard against a suspected infinite recursion, without
resorting to crashing the whole program.  Perhaps there is a cunning
way to do that without having to set an arbitrary stack depth limit?
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Regards,
        Neil