Re: complex support on solaris?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: complex support on solaris?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:19:37 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As pkgsrc maintainer of the guile package, I got a bug report about not
>> building on Solaris.  The submitter doesn't have enough time for guile
>> any more, but the problem seems to be that Solaris's
>> /usr/include/complex.h expects the "compilation environment" to provide
>> _Complex_I.
>>
>> Adding this line to numbers.c allowed it to build:
>>
>> #define _Complex_I 1.0fi
>>
>> The full PR is at:
>>
>>   http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=37556
>
> One initial question: what's the connection (or interaction) between
> Solaris and NetBSD?

Strictly speaking, none.  pkgsrc is a multi-platform packaging system.
Originally it was just for NetBSD, but now supports quite a few
operating systems.  pkgsrc lives administratively within the NetBSD
project (bug tracking, commit privs, means to assure that pkgsrc itself
is Free, etc.).

So my report really is about building guile on Solaris via pkgsrc, and
not about NetBSD.  I have figured out a bit more since posting.

The real problem is that at least some versions of Solaris, when used
with gcc, provide complex.h but don't define all the required symbols.

I think the fix for guile is either

a) declare this broken and ignore it

b) change the configure test for HAVE_COMPLEX_H to instead try to
compile a program that includes complex.h and assigned _Complex_I to a
variable, thereby ignoring complex support on solaris.