Heads up: Releasing 1.8.3

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Heads up: Releasing 1.8.3
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:34:42 +0200

Hi Guilers!

I'd like to release 1.8.3 soonish, i.e., this week-end or next week.  I
can take care of it if no-one disagrees.

The current `NEWS' excerpt is already quite large:

  Changes in 1.8.3 (since 1.8.2)

  * New modules (see the manual for details)

  ** `(srfi srfi-35)'
  ** `(srfi srfi-37)'

  * Bugs fixed

  ** The `(ice-9 slib)' module now works as expected
  ** Expressions like "(set! 'x #t)" no longer yield a crash
  ** Warnings about duplicate bindings now go to stderr
  ** A memory leak in `make-socket-address' was fixed
  ** Alignment issues (e.g., on SPARC) in network routines were fixed
  ** A threading issue that showed up at least on NetBSD was fixed
  ** Build problems on Solaris fixed

  * Implementation improvements

  ** The reader is now faster, which reduces startup time
  ** Procedures returned by `record-accessor' and `record-modifier' are faster

If you think of news items that were omitted, or critical bugs that
haven't been fixed, please send a message.  I'll look into the pthreads
"braces around initializer" issue (Solaris/IRIX), too.

Thanks,
Ludovic.