Re: scm_cell vs threads build option

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: scm_cell vs threads build option
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:22:57 -0700

> Can't you, for instance, change the Libtool interface number for
> `libguile'?  That's ugly, and would require recompilation of all
> packages depending on it, but at least it would allow you to produce
> thread-enabled packages for the remainder of 1.8.x.

That doesn't really help unless it's handled officially upstream.
i.e. I believe a given SONAME for a given library name on a given
platform should always produce the exact same ABI.

>> The problem is that Guile 1.8 in Etch was compiled without threads
>> (due to some serious problems at the time).
>
> OTOH, I don't remember seeing any "serious" thread-related bug fix
> since 1.8.0.  Or did I miss it?

If I recall correctly, the problem was that "make check" was failing
when threads were enabled.  I re-enabled threads because it looked
like the problem may have been fixed (perhaps indirectly) in 1.8,.2,
and I wanted to test that in unstable.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu