Re: scm_cell vs threads build option

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: scm_cell vs threads build option
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:34:23 +0200

Hi,

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess scm_cell has been inlined that way for a while, but it'd be
> worth thinking about not inlining it, or only inlining for internal
> uses, in the interests of binary compatibility among as many build
> options as possible.

One would have to evaluate the costs associated with this.  On one hand,
this would slow down external packages.  On the other hand, this may
allow us to the `initial-exec' TLS access model (as noted by Andy on
IRC), which can be a significant performance improvement.  What I
dislike is that it would make external packages second-class citizens,
compared to code part of guile-core.

Anyway, that's too late for 1.8 I suppose.

Thanks,
Ludovic.