Gnulib support

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Gnulib support
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:38:18 +0200

Hi,

I just committed Gnulib support in HEAD.  In the long run, this can be
an appreciable portability aid, provided we make good use of the
available modules.  Currently, the only imported modules are `alloca'
and `strcasecmp' (see `m4/gnulib-cache.m4').  Other modules would
certainly be useful.

Note that only LGPL modules are imported.  Furthermore, the Gnulib folks
guarantee that whatever LGPL variant we end up using, they will arrange
so that the modules we need are licence-compatible with libguile [0,1].

In practice, one must now run `gnulib-tool --update' before running
`autoreconf' (`autogen.sh' was updated to do that).  The only file that
needs to be kept in the repository is `m4/gnulib-cache.m4' since other
files are automatically fetched by `gnulib-tool'.

Note that you'll probably need to run "make distclean" before doing
anything the first time you update.

Let me know of any problems you encounter or any comments that you have.

Thanks!

Ludovic.

[0] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.gnulib.bugs/10913
[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.gnulib.bugs/10914