Re: Heads up: Releasing 1.8.2

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Heads up: Releasing 1.8.2
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:42:10 +0200

2007/6/25, Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
> guile
guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (ice-9 slib) overrides core binding
`provide'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (ice-9 slib) overrides core binding
`provided?'
guile> (version)
"1.8.1"
guile>

The problem is that native guile has provide/require, and so does slib.
Guile used to use different words, and they were changed for some
reason.  My view is that slib is a de facto reserved namespace :_)

Isn't the original and only purpose of Guile's provide/require to be
part of support for slib?  I think the idea was to tell slib (and
other code) what feature sets are already present in Guile.  My guess
is that the original was simply a clone of the corresponding parts of
slib, so that they could simply replace the slib version.

With time, however, slib has developed independently of Guile.  I
think what needs to be done is to come to an agreement with Aubrey
Jaffer of how the interface to slib should look like and how it should
be maintained.  When I last looked at it, slib's Guile interface was
based on heavily outdated assumptions.  Preferably, the Guile part of
slib should be minimal, giving larger freedom for development on both
sides.

When doing this, it is important that the result works well with
Guile's module system.