Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-comp

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-compiler.scm, rt-examples.scm and rt.tex
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:53:11 +0200

Hi,

"Kjetil S. Matheussen" <address@hidden> writes:

> and for guile I think you use -rpath? :

Yes.

> No. But I have ran a series of benchmarks now:

Thanks for doing this!

To sum up, BGC is always slower but usually more memory-efficient than
GGC.

In Guile + libgc, you could try adding:

  GC_set_free_space_divisor (2);

right before `GC_expand_hp ()' in `libguile/gc.c'.  AIUI, this would
trade memory for CPU time.

Ideally, we'd need a better benchmarking framework, where each benchmark
is run tens of times and where both the average and variance are
reported.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time to work on it right
now.

Thanks,
Ludovic.