Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-comp

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen
Subject: Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-compiler.scm, rt-examples.scm and rt.tex
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:45:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
 The main thing that needs to be done before we can consider this
 solution now is to compare both memory usage _and_ execution time of the
 two Guiles.

Yes, but for some kinds of software, like programs with custom gui's, sound processing programs, interactive graphical programs, interactivety is exclusively more important than those two. I consider the freeze that the guile's built-in gc cause to be its biggest problem.

Actually, I haven't used guile for other interactive stuff than snd. And snd is huge. It could be that the boehm gc works a lot lot better for really large programs than guile's gc. I'll try to run the gc benchmark program inside snd (with lots of scheme files loaded), it might give some interesting results.