Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-comp

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen
Subject: Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-compiler.scm, rt-examples.scm and rt.tex
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 18:33:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

> (CC guile-dev)
>

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
>
> > Thanks!  I'll merge your changes into my versions this morning.
> > I saw some discussion about the Boehm GC, but I didn't try it --
> > let me know how it goes!
> >

> I have it running now, and it feels much better. (gc) still triggers a
> glip in the sound though, but thats to be expected.

I have tried Snd with Guile 1.9 with and without the Boehm GC on the same
two computers (amd xp3000 and intel mac MP 1.3gz) using the same version
of Snd (8.4/snd-ls 0.9.7.12). And my experiences are as follows:

> But the good things are (with snd_conffils.scm loaded):
>
> * I don't hear any glips in the sound using a dac-size of 64. Can't
>   remember that ever working before. Even a dac-size of 1 almost works.

This is the same behaviour for both versions of guile. On the MP machine,
there is never any glips at all, on the other there are some.

> * When changing the range, there is no sign of the graphics now and then
>   lagging behind. I have never seen that before.

Large difference. Without the Boehm GC, graphic freezes for about 0.5
seconds each 4th seconds. Very frustrating, just as with guile 1.8.1, but
better than 1.6.x though. With the Boehm GC, on the other hand: no freeze
at all.

Conclusion: Guile with the Boehm GC seems to improve interactivety for
one guile programs by a large amount, somehow. It would be nice if
the Boehm GC was used in guile 1.8 as well, and enabled by default.