Re: freeing srcprops ?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: freeing srcprops ?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:08:52 +0000

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> why use a separate storage pool for srcprop objects?
>
> At a guess, is it because that they're likely to never need freeing,
> hence can be laid down in big blocks.

I'd guess because setting up a srcprops is critical to start-up
performance, and a double cell doesn't have enough slots to store all
the common properties (filename, pos, copy) directly (as your change
makes clear).

So I'd expect --debug start up to go a little more slowly after your
change.  Did you make any measurements?

Also, did you find that the change saved a lot of memory for Lilypond?
It's not obvious to me why it should have done, just moving srcprops
from a specialized storage to the general cell heap.

Regards,
    Neil