Re: Trouble building 1.8.x

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Trouble building 1.8.x
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:46:17 +1100

Heikki Lindholm <address@hidden> writes:

> I also failed miserably at generating the configure scripts. So, how
> about telling THE mechanism that people are using to do a reconf?

I usually just go "aclocal", then remember it needs "-I guile-config",
then remember it also needs either libtoolize or gettextize or both,
then I undo some of the damage^H^H^H^H excess changes gettextize made,
then it should be autoconf and automake.  Then I see automake's silly
C include file dependency tracking wasn't disabled by the project so I
re-run "automake -i" and hope that setting sticks. :-)

>From a cvs update it's normally enough to have
--enable-maintainer-mode, the makefiles then re-run the configury as
necessary.  (Sometimes it won't recognise a new directory - new
directories are pretty rare though - and you have to run
./config.status explicitly, or do a fresh ./configure run.)

I can see why all that farting about would make people want an
autogen.sh, but I've rarely known one to do much good, or even make it
clear what it is actually doing :-(.