Re: On-line manual

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: On-line manual
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:09:16 +0000

> As a followup to a recent discussion on `guile-user', I made the manual
> for 1.8.1 available from the web in a way that is similar to what other
> GNU projects do:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/

Nice.

> I also updated http://www.gnu.org/manual/ so that it points to this
> address (the update has not propagated yet).

My feeling is that the "guile" link in http://www.gnu.org/manual
should always go to the same page as the "Manuals" link in
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile.

> However, the current doc page [0] has more information (manual for 1.6
> and for GOOPS, tutorial, book) so we need to find a way to "merge" both
> pages.  For GOOPS, I think we could add an entry in `/manual' and have
> that point to `/software/guile/manual/goops'.  For the other docs, we
> could add pointers in http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/ and have
> that point to subdirectories.  Finally, the Guile web site could refer
> to that page as well, rather than having a separate `docs.html' page.
>
> Opinions?

That sounds fine from a usage point of view, but it also sounds
unnecessarily hard to implement, if pages like
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual are generated as a whole by
gendocs.sh.  It sounds to me as though it would be easier to keep the
existing http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html as the main
Manuals page, and modify its "Reference Manual for Guile 1.8" link to
point to http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual.

Then later, if we want, we can progressively create parallels of
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual for the GOOPS and 1.6
manuals, and so on, and just update the links on
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html to point to them.

Regards,
     Neil