Re: merge from 1.8 branch

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: merge from 1.8 branch
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:22:28 -0700

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> Of course we could also just shift 1.8 into maintenance mode, start
>> focusing on the main branch, and plan to release 1.10 sooner.  I'd
>> be open to that as well.
>
> How would that be different from the current situation?  (In other
> words, in what sense is 1.8 not already in maintenance mode?)

I was mostly just thinking about the range of options (in general)
between taking the position that 1.8 should only allow bugfixes, and
that any new development should go into 1.10, and taking a more
liberal position as (in part) a way to release new features sooner (at
least those that don't break backward compatibility).  Of course in
the former case, there would be more pressure for a earlier 1.10
release.

Of course each approach has its advantages and disadvantages, both
from the developer's perspective, and the user's perspective.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu