Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:42:59 +0200

Ludovic Courtès schreef:
But please, relax about performance, we still haven't run any meaningful
benchmark.  ;-)
btw, is there any news on this patch?  I'm quite keen on dumping
LilyPond's Rational class in favor of Scheme rationals, but adding gc
mark functions for that is just too much work; BGC would be a nice
soluiton to this.

Well, no real news.  My "not-so-meaningful benchmarks" (running a
loop[*]) reproductively show that "GBGC" is noticeably slower than "real
Guile" (1.5 to 2 times slower).

I've patched it a bit to use GC_typed alloc for tagged data. It probably doesn't make much of a difference, since 90% of the data is regular cells, but see http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/public/software/guile-bgc.patch

With the tree benchmark (included in patch, I get 54 secs (Guile 1.8) vs. 1:25 (typed BGC). I forgot to measure regular BGC, though.

Note that BGC has ALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS switched on by default nowadays, which means that it may scan too much. You could try switching that off.