Re: largefile64 on ports

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: largefile64 on ports
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:27:23 +0200

Hi,

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

>> OTOH, would the latter be very necessary?  Can't we just someday break
>> the ABI and use 64-bit types in `scm_t_ptob_descriptor'?
>
> Probably less convenient than having both.  There's likely to be
> external libraries which are still 32-bit.  Zlib for instance (I
> think, depending maybe on its config options).

I fail to understand how having `64' variants of most of the I/O
functions could be convenient.  What I was suggesting is to have only
one version of each function that uses, say, `scm_off_t' and
`scm_size_t' which both turn out to be 64-bit data types.

It's also unclear to me how this would cause troubles when interacting
(at the _source_ level) with 32-bit libraries.

Thanks,
Ludovic.