Re: Text collation

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Text collation
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:38:24 +1000

> The cool thing is that it's a "clean" API in that the locale settings
> can be passed explicitly as a third parameter.  The (potentially)
> controversial part is that this wraps a non-standard GNU extension.

/usr/include/locale.h has

        Attention: all these functions are *not* standardized in any form.
        This is a proof-of-concept implementation.

which is not confidence inspiring :(.

> If all this sounds like a reasonable plan to you, then I can implement
> locked locale sections (for non-GNU platforms), augment the docs, and
> eventually merge it in both 1.8 and HEAD.

I wonder if the unicode of r6rs might make the implementation
difficult later.

> PS: I would be happier if this was part of an `(ice-9 i18n)' module but
>     since it's already too late for `gettext', `bindtextdomain' and
>     friends to go there, maybe we should just keep using the root
>     module...

If it doesn't drag in extra libraries then it doesn't hurt much.