Re: 1.8 make check failing in popen.test

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: 1.8 make check failing in popen.test
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:45:46 -0700

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> Sound bizarre.  Maybe hacking scm_i_pthread_mutex_init to force the
> use of the "error checking" mutex attribute and then hacking
> scm_i_pthread_mutex_lock and scm_i_pthread_mutex_unlock to check the
> return and errno would show something.  Dunno what though.

See pthread_atfork(3):

  To understand the purpose of !pthread_atfork!, recall that !fork!(2)
  duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their
  current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads
  are not run- ning in the child process.  The mutexes are not usable
  after the !fork!  and must be initialized with |pthread_mutex_init|
  in the child process.  This is a limitation of the current
  implementation and might or might not be present in future versions.

I believe a while back I wondered if we might have trouble with
pthreads and fork unless we were very careful, and I'm beginning to
wonder again.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu