Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:08:12 +0200

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> My reading of this is that it is trying to be locale-independent,
> based on Unicode category definitions.  Isn't that correct?

Indeed.  It also reads:

  This library is designed to be portable across implementations that
  use different character types and representations, especially ASCII,
  Latin-1 and Unicode.

  [...]

  While the exact composition of these sets may vary depending upon the
  character type provided by the underlying Scheme system, here are the
  definitions for some of the sets in an ASCII implementation:

  [...]

Currently, the only charset supported by Guile (or, rather, by its
implementation of this SRFI) is ASCII.  I believe Guile could support
any 8-bit charset, including Latin-1, at little or no cost.

But for this, we'd need a way for the user to tell which 8-bit charset
they are interested in.  The easiest way would be through a startup-time
locale setting, but there might be other options too.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludovic.