Re: `guile-debugging' feature requests

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: `guile-debugging' feature requests
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:01:39 +0100

> I'm not an Emacs expert, so I'm afraid I won't be able to provide you
> with the exact patch needed to make it work.  ;-)
>
> `hippie-expand' works by calling the functions listed in
> `hippie-expand-try-functions-list' which is documented as follows:
>
>   The list of expansion functions tried in order by `hippie-expand'.  To
>   change the behavior of `hippie-expand', remove, change the order of,
>   or insert functions in this list.
>
> These should be one-argument functions that are passed a previous
> completion result.  Hippie provides a number of such functions out of
> the box: `try-complete-file-name', `try-complete-lisp-symbol', etc.
>
> Unfortunately, from a quick look at `hippie-exp.el', it seems that these
> functions pass their result by mutating `he-expand-list' which is not
> exported.  Thus, in order to implement hippie-compatible completion
> functions, either hippie-expand has to be adapted, or your own
> completion function has to be made part of hippie-expand (which it not
> possible in your case).  :-(

I just took a quick look at this.  In Emacs 21.4
hippie-expand-try-functions-list is "exported" by a defcustom:

(defcustom hippie-expand-try-functions-list
  '(try-complete-file-name-partially
    try-complete-file-name
    ...))

So I think all that's needed here is to write a
gds-try-complete-for-hippie-expand function, then document that you
(the user) can add this to hippie-expand-try-functions-list.

Apart from figuring out the calling convention for a try-complete
function, this looks pretty simple; I'll report back soon.

Regards,
     Neil