Re: `guile-debugging' feature requests

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: `guile-debugging' feature requests
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:31:28 +0100

> * Completion
>
> Currently, `gds-complete-symbol' only completes symbols based on those
> defined in the current module of the attached Guile process.  This is
> fine, but it would be nice if a completion function compatible with
> `hippie-expand' was provided, so that one can plug it in the middle of
> other completion functions.

I don't yet know what this means in detail, because I've never looked
at how hippie works.  I'll take a look soonish, but if you happened to
work it out for me first I shouldn't mind!

> * Module Unloading/Reloading
>
> When one is writing code and periodically testing it via GDS, it may
> sometimes be useful to tell GDS to entirely unload/reload a given
> module.  This would be particularly helpful when testing features that
> span several modules.  I don't know exactly what would be feasible in
> this area, and this would certainly require support from Guile itself.
>
> Also, I don't know what other Scheme/Lisp development environments allow
> for in this respect.  Does that sound like a useful usage pattern?

I completely agree as regards reloading, and I'm sure from my own
experience that it is a frequently useful usage pattern.

The implementation is just "load the relevant file", I believe; the
only slightly tricky part is working out the most convenient possible
interface.

I'm not sure about unloading.  I don't recall ever wanting to do it in
practice, and I'm not sure Guile has any way of achieving it.

Regards,
     Neil