Re: scheme closures: crash during garbage collection

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: scheme closures: crash during garbage collection
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:34:42 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Han-Wen Nienhuys) writes:
>
>> No, MV thinks it's a bad idea, and I agree with him.
>>
>> See
>>
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/4117/focus=4160
>
> Yep, and let me elaborate a bit:
>
> The pair scm_gc_protect_object / scm_gc_unprotect_object can be seen
> as being Guile's way to implement reference counting for its objects,
> maybe analogous to g_object_ref and g_object_unref for glib's
> GObjects.  This is true, of course: you can use it to implement
> reference counting.  However, it is not a good idea, as Guile offers a
> better alternative with its mostly-precise mark/sweep garbage
> collector.

So what do you propose, then, for the scenario that Gregory described?

> Guile wants you to integrate your objects with its mark/sweep
> approach, by providing appropriate smob marking functions, for
> example.

If I've understood correctly, this isn't possible in Gregory's
scenario.

(See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-gtk-general/2006-06/msg00013.html
if you didn't see the whole description on guile-gtk-general already.)

Regards,
     Neil