Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 01:17:29 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Neil Jerram  <address@hidden> wrote:
>address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Sorry for the long mail and if you have any comment, don't hesitate!
>
>Fascinating!  Assuming we can resolve the details you have listed,
>what are the other high-level pros/cons, apart from performance?  Does
>this mean we would discard all Guile's own GC code?  Also, is Boehm GC
>as sophisticated as the generational GC ideas that people have talked
>over the last year about adding Guile, or can we expect future Boehm
>GC development to cover this?
>
>Is Boehm GC an active project?  What else uses it?

Boehm is generational, AFAIK.

Virtually everyone uses BGC. GCJ, MzScheme, BigLoog, GNU Obj-C, etc.

See,

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

for a longer list.

By using BGC, you potentially loose a bit of performance, since BGC
isn't specialized for LISP/Scheme, but you get a system that is much
better overall researched and tuned.