Fwd: Emacs-like file buffers

From: Jason Meade
Subject: Fwd: Emacs-like file buffers
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:27:14 -0700

On 5/13/06, Rob Browning <address@hidden> wrote:
"Jason Meade" <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Perl's source is available, why not just grab its regex engine
> and drop it into guile? If that's no good for licensing or other
> reasons, then there's always PCRE (http://www.pcre.org/).

Either of those would be a possibility, but first we'd have to come to
a decision about whether or not we wanted Guile's official regular
expressions to be Perl format.

And of course there are also arguments in favor of the other formats
(POSIX or Emacs).  I'm OK with any of them; I'd just like to have a
standard.

~~ *sigh!* I forgot to cc the group... :( ~~

Is there a standard for regular expressions somewhere? It seems like
most implements (from grep through tcl, perl, and beyond) seem to
agree on simple stuff like ^[a-c]?002*[^b]+$ etc... (not all
understand ? and + I've noticed....) but very few seem to share an
affinity for \w or \< ... \> etcetera.

I don't use regular expressions (outside of grep) everyday, but when I
do use them, it's usually for some serious pattern matching, with
variable capture (via $1, or \#1 etc). I'm starting to incorporate
search-forward and search-backwards into my filebuffer lib. For that
kind of work, even strchr will work (sorta. binary data is a problem).
However, eventually I'll want to be able to regex my buffers, and once
I add the guile hooks, it would be nice to share the same regex syntax
with everyone else. After all, the last thing you want is to load a
module, only to find that it's not syntax compatible with the rest of
the language!

-Jason