Re: Status of the "Project Ideas" page / Summer of Code

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Status of the "Project Ideas" page / Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:56:17 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 23:17 +0200, Martin Kuehl wrote:
>>
>> I was also thinking about SLIME[5] support, probably by porting
>> slime48[6], and maybe even evaluationg what's been done for Pika
>> Scheme[7] -- and ripping out the good bits... Feedback anyone?

> Slime support would be verrry interesting (I wrote about it once [0]),
> and probably should be done using ports from scheme48. It shouldn't be
> too terribly hard, either. Neil Jerram has done a lot of guile<->emacs
> work, perhaps he has some thoughts on the subject.

Yes; I think my guile-debugging package (available from gna.org)
pretty much covers this area, and if there are missing features it
would probably make sense to fill them in in guile-debugging, rather
than port SLIME as a whole.  I'd be very happy to help someone work in
this area.

(FWIW, I was unaware of SLIME until I came across Andy's blog entry
recently, but was then surprised by how similar SLIME's architecture
and approach are to guile-debugging's.  It's also worth noting that
guile-debugging builds on the nice low-level debugging features in the
Guile evaluator code, which I presume are a bit different from
corresponding features in other Schemes.)

Regards,
    Neil