Re: Branch management

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Branch management
Date: 26 Mar 2006 01:09:46 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Just a heads-up: until I get to any work that isn't appropriate for
> the 1.8 branch, I'm planning to make all my commits to the 1.8 branch
> only, on the assumption that we will do something later to copy those
> changes to CVS head.

Yes, that's how it is going to happen.

It wasn't really planned that way.  We did it differently in 1.6 vs
HEAD, where we applied patches to both branches simultaneously by
hand, and we might switch to that mode once HEAD has suffifiently
diverted from the 1.8 branch.

> I also see a couple of problems with the CVS head branch as it stands.
>
> 1. Because it was forked before the 1.8 release, it doesn't contain
>    markers in the NEWS or ChangeLogs for when the release happened.
>
> 2. For the same reason, it doesn't have 2006 in its copyrights - which
>    makes it tedious to compare the 1.8 and head CVS trees.

Yep, the merge from the 1.8 branch should fix this.

> (To avoid these problems in future, I recommend branching only after
> making a .0 release.)

Yeah, it would have been OK to freeze HEAD until the release was made.