Re: Guile 1.7.91 has been released.

From: Bill Schottstaedt
Subject: Re: Guile 1.7.91 has been released.
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:33:37 -0800

I don't think NAME_MAX is defined anywhere -- the documentation says
you should use pathconf instead.  Here's the portion of limits.h where
they commented out NAME_MAX:

/*
 * POSIX 1003.1a, section 2.9.5, table 2-5 contains [NAME_MAX] and the
 * related text states:
 *
 * A definition of one of the values from Table 2-5 shall be omitted from the
 * <limits.h> on specific implementations where the corresponding value is
 * equal to or greater than the stated minimum, but where the value can vary
 * depending on the file to which it is applied. The actual value supported for
 * a specific pathname shall be provided by the pathconf() (5.7.1) function.
 *
 * This is clear that any machine supporting multiple file system types
 * and/or a network can not include this define, regardless of protection
 * by the _POSIX_SOURCE and _POSIX_C_SOURCE flags.
 *
 * #define      NAME_MAX        14
 */

I'd be happy to test anything, of course.  (The d_name field is still defined
to be 1 char long, so I think the glibc comment still pertains to Solaris,
but I'm really no expert about this system!).