Distributed revision control, etc.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Distributed revision control, etc.
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:29:34 +0100

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> But like I said, Arch being sufficient isn't, by itself, a reason not
> to support something else.

There will always be a single "official" repository, so the question is
which RCS should be used to manage this one, if we were to switch to
another RCS at all.

I personally mirror the current CVS repository in an Arch archive, in a
`cvs' branch from which I regularly merge my own development branch.
However, syncing with CVS is quite painful, mostly because the CVS
repository doesn't keep track of merges.

Gatewaying among several distributed RCS with similar semantics (e.g.,
atomic commits, changeset-oriented, etc.) should be much easier.  I.e.,
if the official repo is an Arch (or Darcs) repo, it should be quite easy
for people willing to do so to perform some gatewaying with their
favorite DRCS.

Thanks,
Ludovic.