Re: Future of ice-9/slib.scm.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Future of ice-9/slib.scm.
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:33:42 -0800

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree that a few lines of code for backwards compat are warranted.
> Really it's a bug that user code needs to do anything, but I don't
> think that's worth it.

Agreed.  It's not ideal, but seems a reasonable compromise.

> The comments about 'new enough' are unsatisfying; if you could give a
> version that's too old, and one that's new enough it would help
> greatly, even if there's an uncertain interval in the middle.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if you're saying what I
think you're saying, then you probably don't have to be concerned.
The comments in the code were just speculation about what we might
want to do in 1.8, in particular that 1.8's slib.scm will probably
just look like this:

  (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")

and might or might not include a few more lines to check
*SLIB-VERSION* and "do something".  Either way there be clear notes
regarding any requirements in NEWS and the documentation.

> After this is in CVS, and seems to work, it would be nice to have a
> release for packagers to update.

Absolutely.  I was ready to attempt the release quite a bit back, but
have held it up for this issue.

I should be adding this code to 1.6 CVS in the next few days, and then
I'll fire the release process back up.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning