Re: What's the matter?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: What's the matter?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:51:41 -0800

On Monday 05 December 2005 02:27 pm, you wrote:
> Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > In particular, using "scm_makstr(_s, _ch)" causes faults,
>
> Looks like it ought to be ok.  Post a failing example to guile-devel
> if you like.

Hi Kevin,

It turns out that in all places where I was using scm_makstr(), I was
also using SCM_CHARS to access the string memory and then fill it in.
It *must* be safe to do because I don't call any scheme functions before
I am done scribbling in the memory.  Anyway, to be safer, I have removed
all use of SCM_CHARS and that made scm_makstr unusable so I am using a
new approach.  I do not use scm_makstr anymore.

Since it takes a *LOT* of work to get autogen-5.7.2 to run under
Guile 1.7.x, I don't think it worth the bother to try to use that
as an example.  If someone were to say, "I will work on the issue",
then I'll hack my autogen-5.8preXXX to use that function once again.
And fail.  Otherwise, lets forget it.

Thanks for your help.  Regards, Bruce

> Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >     I should be getting stack traces on Scheme errors.  I'm not.
> >     (And, yes, I invoke either ``(backtrace)'' or ``scm_backtrace()''
> >     when a failure is detected.)
>
> I think I've been having trouble with backtraces not appearing too
> (just from plain scheme code) but I didn't know where to look for
> what's wrong.

Me, either.  I did a bunch of grepping into the 1.4.1 and 1.6.7 source,
but nothing jumped out as the way it was accomplished.  Black magic?  :)
In the end, I've altered my test thus:

cat > ${testname}.samp6 <<EOF
${testname}.tpl6:7:4: In expression (stumble-over-unbound-variable):
${testname}.tpl6:7:4: Unbound variable: stumble-over-unbound-variable
Scheme evaluation error.  AutoGen ABEND-ing in template
        error.tpl6 on line 3
EOF

if test ${GUILE_VERSION} -gt 107000
then
  echo "WARNING:  Guile 1.7.x cannot display error line numbers" >&2
  exec 3> ${testname}.samp6-tmp
  echo 'ERROR: Unbound variable: stumble-over-unbound-variable' >&3
  sed 1,2d ${testname}.samp6 >&3
  exec 3>&-
  mv -f ${testname}.samp6-tmp ${testname}.samp6
fi