Re: Getting source location information

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Getting source location information
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:39:51 +0100

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> *Thank you*, Ludvic!  Now we're getting some where.  :-D

Cool. ;-)

> So, again, I need clarity.  Are you saying this:

First, the `scm_sym_*' things should be lower-case (I was using the GNU
notation for function arguments).

It's more complicated than that in fact.  Source properties must be
attached to S-exps (in fact, pairs), not to the source string.  And
source properties are actually attached by `scm_read ()' and the
function it calls.

So I guess we're almost screwed because `scm_read ()' gets location info
from the port it's reading from.  So if you provide it with a string port,
that will not work.

I can't think of a hack to work around that, so we might even be screwed
for good (well, the hack you originally posted does the job but with a
very coarse grain).  Now you just have to hope that a Guile developer
will read this message and post a bright solution.

> Well, actually, I disagree.  If any application wants to cope with
> embedded Guile extensions in their input files

You may agree that this is not a very common case.  :-)

> Now, the 1.7 implementation has invalidated
> portions of the non-deprecated 1.6 interface that I have been using.

Well, *this* is arguably problematic.

Hope this helps,
Ludo'.