Re: 1.6.8 release candidate 0 available for testing.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 1.6.8 release candidate 0 available for testing.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:32:28 +0200

Hi,

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry you are quite right, I should have said GNU libc (is that used
> on other than Linux and HURD these days?).

Sure it is: GNU/kFreeBSD[0] and even...  GNU/NetBSD[1].  I know there
has been significant work on the former, don't know about the latter.

> In this case, GNU libc is not a requirement for guile, which runs on
> free operating systems with GNU libc, free OS w/o GNU libc and
> non-free OS.  The real reference is to the C99-specified strftime.  I
> think what bothered me was the broken link in the info file since I do
> not have GNU libc info files installed.  I tried to follow it, and
> then realized it was a cross-file link.  So, sure, adding "or see
> strftime(3)" would help.

Well, Guile is a GNU project after all, which is primarily meant to be
used on the GNU system, so I think it makes perfect sense to include
links to documentation of other GNU software.  However, adding a note
like the one you propose for non-GNU users might be a good idea too.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
[1] http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/