Re: Preparing for a 1.6.8 release.

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: Preparing for a 1.6.8 release.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

> > Given that things don't work with 1.6.8.rc0 even after changing __ia64__
> > to IA64 I think it is reasonable not to address this problem for 1.6.8.
>
> Well, if we can do it safely and fairly easily, I'd still be inclined
> to add the code for ucontext_t on HP-UX because that lowers the bar
> for future progress.  Is there a sufficiently specific test that you
> think might be appropriate?

Well the test for IA64 and not HP-UX would be "defined(__ia64) &&
!defined(__hpux)".  __hpux and __ia64 are defined by both the HP
compilers and GCC on IA64 HP-UX.  __hpux__ and __ia64__ are only defined
by GCC.  IA64 Linux GCC defines __ia64 and __ia64__ but not any of the
hpux macros.

> Well if your needs aren't short-to-medium term, or if your intended
> purpose can handle a potentially very unstable guile, then you might
> want to focus on CVS HEAD (i.e. 1.7).  However, if you need something
> stable, then 1.6 is it.

Sounds like 1.6 is more in line with what I want (1.6.9 if not 1.6.8).

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden