Re: doc getsockopt, setsockopt

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: doc getsockopt, setsockopt
Date: 02 Oct 2005 19:09:03 -0400

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> I'd noticed in the past the gnu/linux "man 5 protocols" says to use
> /etc/protocols instead of numbers like IPPROTO, but what posix says
> must trump that.

I think getprotobyname is supposed to return IANA-allocated protocol
numbers, so while 'posix rulz' is a great attitude and one I share,
there's no real conflict.

> > NetBSD's Linux compatibility code indicates that SOL_IP is 0, but has
> > a comment that these values can vary by architecture
>
> That should be ok, we don't care about the actual values as long as
> the constants are right.

True; I was just trying to point out the complexity I found in case it
mattered later.

> Do you need to know about host vs network byte order to get it
> through?  That would be something to note.

Yes, but I think it's the same as all other bind/etc. calls.

I just pass the result of

(define *ssp-addr* (inet-aton "224.0.x.y")) ;not registered

so it's host order, like all the other calls.  Docs for bind,
connect and send don't mention this though.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>