Re: Wide characters support

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Wide characters support
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:31:20 +0300

> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Well, my current plans are to get us Unicode support by having three
>> kinds of strings, with three widths (8, 16 and 32 bits, of course).
>> But they are not very concrete.  I am not thinking about using
>> wchar_t.
>
> Because of its potential greediness in terms of memory consumption?

Yes, but mostly because I think the type is not really an important
ingredient when using Unicode exclusively, since we know concretely
what we want and don't need to rely on wchar_t as a portability aid.
(There will of course be functions to convert Guile strings into
wchar_t arrays.)

One of the goals of moving SRFI 13 and 14 into the core was to
discourage people from relying on the internal representation of
strings.  This means that this internal representation can be changed
more easily, for example, to a multibyte encoding or to use splay
trees, etc.