Re: module GC bug

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: module GC bug
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:04:45 +0200

Marius Vollmer wrote:

I've found a memory leak in GUILE.

The contents of modules are not garbage collected.

I believe this is fixed in CVS HEAD now in the 'proper' way:

    guile> (define g (make-guardian))
    guile> (g (make-module))
    guile> (gc)
    guile> (g)
    #<module b7b859b0>

The fix consists of storing procedure properties in a weak key
hashtable (as you did), and fixing weak hashtables so that cycles from
the value back to the key get properly collected.

Thanks!

I think this change is a too large to go into 1.6, tho.  Is there a
workaround that you could put into your code, such as

    (set-procedure-property! (module-eval-closure M) 'module #f)

in an appropriate place?

Yes, I've already done that. Any idea of when we will see this in a release?