Re: dynamic argv0 relocation

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: dynamic argv0 relocation
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:03:47 +1000

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> That's why I added the configure option and compile switch.  You do
> not want this enabled for well behaved systems.  Could you live with
> that?

I guess it's not actively harmful :-).  Some configury that divined or
selected the conventions of a particular system might be clearer than
stuff about argv0.  I'm not sure how many w32 users for instance would
be smart enough to associate that with moving their tree :).

> (I really like the gnu standards, but when these where written, was
> build time not virtually the same as install time?)
>
> Btw, what bit are you referring to?

Only the little spot in "Directory Variables" about $prefix where it's
supposed to influence compiling with "make all", but then doesn't
change the contents under "make install".  $DESTDIR probably/hopefully
renders that slightly obsolete.