Re: dynamic argv0 relocation

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: dynamic argv0 relocation
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:20:01 -0500

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the thing that makes this case tricky is the Guile library.

You may have already been thinking of these, but in case not, it's
also any other libraries provided by Guile (srfi 13/14) or by any
external modules, and while the Guile library has to be somewhere that
ld.so looks, the other libtool loaded libraries have to be somewhere
that libtool's libltdl looks.  These are similar, but I believe may
not always be the same.  (Does liblttdl look in /usr/local/lib by
default now?).

In any case, I'd be hesitant to start automatically modifying the
environment unless we're *really* sure that what we're doing is the
right thing.  For example, prepending something to PATH or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH may alter a user's intentional ordering and may change
the effective versions of other libs or executables in undesirable
ways.

Of course these comments are most directly applicable to traditional
unix-like OSes.  I'm sure it's possible that we might need to do
arrange things differently on other platforms, but if so, I'd like to
try to make sure that it's clear what the appropriate solution is, and
that those with sufficient experience with the platform (i.e. probably
not me) have adequately considered any corner cases.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu