Re: hash tables by jay glascoe

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: hash tables by jay glascoe
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:12:26 +0100

Kevin Ryde wrote:
The projects page has an entry for hash tables by jay glascoe, but the
link seems a bit dead.  Does anyone know the status of this?

I believe the work was never incorporated. I recall a thread between Jay and (mainly) Maciej Stachowiak which went on for ever (but not what the points of disagreement (if any) were).

Some old mail suggests it was about resizing hash tables, which is in
the head now so unless it is or was more then perhaps this entry can
go now anyway.

I think the point of Jay's implementation was _automatic_ resizing. In other words, it removed both the need to specify a size when creating a hash table, and the need for any explicit resizing calls (given an implementation which supported resizing at all) as entries were added to or removed from the table.

        Neil